Friday, August 15, 2008

Trust Well Earned



I am a graduate of Cathedral Prep, Class of 1989. Msgr. Wallace Harris was on the faculty when I was at the Prep. During that time, he was Dean of Discipline and Vice Rector. He was my teacher and advisor. In fact, I would say he was my mentor.

Msgr. Harris was the Man who welcomed us all in the morning. He was also the one we had to see when we got out of line. He was the one who wasn't afraid to let us know when we were headed in the wrong direction. He spoke plainly, so there was never any confusion. At a time in our lives when we were trying to figure out who we were, he was there to point us in the right direction. I owe much of who I am to him. I am not trying to paint the picture of a saint, just the man that I know to be Msgr. Wally Harris.

The media is painting the picture of a monster, lurking in the halls of my Alma mater. The corrupter of young men and the stealer of innocence. In light of recent events, we are all shocked and confused. We hear allegations against our friend and immediately we say, "No way. Not Possible!" We read the reports and listen to the news and may even start to think that maybe, just maybe, the reports are true. Today, you don't even have to be proven guilty. Character assassination only takes an accusation. Because it made the papers, it must be true.

We cannot allow this to happen. I cannot believe the accusations. Wally Harris has lived his life with Dignity and Grace. He has been a moral compass for so many of us. He has shown the compassion and indeed the tough love that we have needed. He has been there for me when I needed him most. That media monster could not be the same man. That monster is not Msgr. Wallace Harris.

When everything finally comes out, I know that Msgr. Harris will be vindicated. I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind that He is the good man that we all know. He is one of the most humble and respectful men that I know. He is a true man of God. He has earned and will continue to have my trust and utmost respect.

Respectfully submitted,
Peter Orloff
Cathedral Prep Class of 1989

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know Msgr. Harris is a good man. Where are these people making these accusations?